Over 12.6 Million Home Burglaries in a Year in US
Home Burglaries in the United States
Your home is your castle, your safe place, but when the sanctity of you home is broken it’s a huge violation. That’s why burglaries are so emotionally distressing. Of course it’s the last think we want to think about bit it’s important to take precautions to protect your apartment, home, condo or townhouse.
According to law enforcement sources:
- Over 17 Million burglaries committed in the US in 2014 (2015 stats not in yet) – Source FBI.
- Over 12.6 Million residential burglaries in the US in 2014 – Source FBI.
- Burglaries of residential properties accounted for 73.2 percent of all burglary offenses – Source FBI.
- According to the FBI, Home Break-In (Burglary) is the most common threat to our home accounting for about 21 percent of property crimes.
- Victims of burglary offenses suffered an estimated $3.9 billion in property losses in 2014.
- The average loss through burglary in the US was $2,251.
- The vast majority of break-ins are from non-professionals, which means they may be more desperate and dangerous. Professionals tend to avoid conflict.
Cities with the Highest Burglary Rates (Worst Ranked First) – Source = FBI*
- Fayetteville, NC – 1,827.4
- Flint, MI – 1,448.4
- Toledo, OH – 1,389.5
- Little Rock, AR – 1,379.9
- Memphis, TN – 1,303.3
- Montgomery, AL – 1,389.8
- Bakersfield, CA – 1,271.6
- Spokan, WA – 1,239.1
- Winston-Salem, NC – 1,220.8
- Columbus, GA – 1,211.0
*Note that these rankings can be affected by a number of factors.
Whether or not your city is on this list, it’s important to secure your home. Please consider LOKmate as an excellent tool to keep your apartment or home secure.